Copyright 2012 Brent Black, Dan Roth, & Andrew Dobson
Read the latest Brentalfloss comic at the following [link]
Pre-order Brentalfloss’s latest CD: “Bits of Me” [link]
“Bits of Me” now availible on iTunes: [link]
I love Winsor McCay and Little Nemo. I also loved the NES game by Capcom “Little Nemo in Slumberland.” So when Brent asked me to do a comic based off the video game, I wanted to try and emulate the style of the 1905 strip.
If you’ve never seen a Little Nemo comic, they’re absolutely gorgeous. They’re full page because back then comics were a vital way to draw attention to different newspapers (unlike today where they squash them down as much as possible to fit more advertisements in). They also always center around the same gag: Nemo would have whimsical adventures in Slumberland but wake up in the final panel in his bed. The format never varied.
So with this strip I followed some of the basic rules I consider to be very Nemo-ish.
1) Always draw full figures in every panel.
2) Draw them as if you were making a diagram of their actions.
3) Always include a detailed background.
4) Use box shaped word balloons.
5) Cram or stretch dialogue to fit word balloons however you please.
6) Number every panel so people can “follow” it.
7) End with waking up in bed.
It’s not perfect, but I love the joke, and I love how this strip in particular came out.